Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Root Canals and Newlyweds

There are some days when you look back and you are so thankful that you did not know when you woke up, what the day ahead would hold. Last Friday was one of those days for me!! Earlier in the week I had chipped a tooth - but it was nothing urgent so I waited to be seen at the dentist at the first available appointment on Friday morning. I went in at 8am thinking that they would fix my tooth and I’d go on with my day as normal. 
Turns out that an 8am “fix the tooth” appointment turned into the whole right side of my face becoming numb for the temporary crown to be put on - in hopes that this would do the trick and prevent me from having to have a root canal (phew!) !!! Around 12pm when the numbness started going away and I was beginning to feel my mouth again, with one hand on my forehead and the other hand on the right side of my face/chin...I was quickly realizing that I was in some serious pain!! I called the dentist to see if this was “normal” and got their answering machine since they close at 12pm on Fridays! A few minutes later when I called back out of desperation to get their emergency line, a lady at the front desk answered, spoke to my dentist about the throbbing pain I was experiencing, and they made a way for me to be seen immediately with the endodontist downstairs. 
I got there within ten minutes and after seeing one x-ray of my mouth, they informed me that I would be having a root canal...right now. At this point, I had already been numb for four hours and was becoming numb already at the stuff they were giving me for this second procedure of the day. My shaky hands could barely type a text to Brandon, “Gotta have root canal”...in which he responds, “Now?”...then called me and told me he’d be there in 15 minutes. It was a God-thing that he was in the Birmingham area on Friday, because his territory is Northern Alabama - so he can be hours away on any given day.

The root canal procedure began and then I remember a nurse walking over to me saying, “Whitney, your husband is in the lobby. He just wanted me to make sure you knew that he was here.” Tears filled my eyes with happiness to know that my precious husband was only a few feet away. The endodontist laughingly said, “Y’all must be newlyweds”!! I had so much in my mouth at that point that I could not clearly respond with the fact that we had been married over three years!! It warmed my heart, that by God’s grace, we love each other more today than when we said “I do” over three years ago. May this always be true!! 
Closing statement from the man of the house: “This was not the only time last week that someone asked if we were newlyweds. The other time was when I surprised Whit at her office and one of the girls she works with said that we looked at each other with the excitement of a couple that's dating...she couldn't believe we'd been married over three years. As Whit said, it's by God's grace that we love each other the way that we do. Our prayer is that the Lord would continue to draw us closer to Himself and to each other for all the days of our lives. We are so thankful that God has given us each other to do life with!! Will close with Colossians 2:6-7, 'Therefore, as you received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving.' "

No comments:

Post a Comment